- Do not be afraid to try things: you can always re-edit it and fix it
- For those of a nervous disposition, use the PlayGround to try things out - that is an area especially for learning how to edit wiki pages.
- Not everyone will be able to edit every page
- Scouts, for example, can edit some stuff under the
scoutspages, but not under
cubs, and definately not under
- Make sure you don't share your password with anyone: “somebody else must have done it” will not be accepted as an excuse!
- Note that a full editing history of who did what when is always available via the
Old revisionsbutton on every page
- See the Policy page here
This dokuwiki is organised in a simple hierarchy. Try and preserve this!
The hierarchy is shown on the left in the navigation menu. You can see where you are by looking at the “You are here” box at the top of every page.
Minimise the stuff you put on your personal “user” pages: use
wiki:scouts:patrols type hierarchy so that everyone can find
stuff in logical places.
A few quick “leg-ups” on how to do basic stuff. You can also see syntax documentation here
To create a new page…
- edit the page you want to link from
- add the link into this e.g.
- if (as is normal) you want to add a page relative to the current one, and below it, put a dot infront of the current name like
[[.thispage:newpage|New page below this page]]
This is the preferred way of doing things in case we/you change the hierarchy at all.
- if you just put a dot infront of the new page, it will create a page in the current namespace, .e.g
[[.newpage|New page at same level as this page]]
- See links syntax.
- You can always see the current hierarchy in the “You are here” section at top of the current page.
- Use a short meaningful title for the first “H1” title: this will appear as the title on the folders in the navigation window
- save the edit and click the new link you've created. This will give you a page prompting you to create it
- you may want to delete the original link to it from the page in the first step.
See also dokuwiki faq
- edit page
- delete all contents
- save page
it will now be removed.
- Once you're editing a page, use the quick-syntax buttons presented to you, or look up syntax here (this is on the navigation menu on the left).
- The table of contents will appear automatically after 3 headings have been created.
- One nice feature is the “folded” feature. To find out more click this
- You can also add nice note boxes like this using http://wiki.splitbrain.org/plugin:Note plugin